Pages


"O taste and see that the LORD is good." Psalms 34:8a

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Going Bananas

This post has been a long time coming, but I'm finally getting around to sharing our recent Banana Bread adventures.  Whenever the girls help me bake, I can only let them do a few simple things before they get "into" our experience too much, my OCD compulsions begin, and the sparks start to fly.  I'm looking forward to the day when they can help me more responsibly, and our experience can be more enjoyable.  The girls did have fun peeling and mashing the bananas though, and that's what I hope they remember someday.
Peeling bananas
Mashing, 
 and Mashing!  I had to let the girls use my vintage masher since my regular one's handle broke the other day.  They don't make them like they used to!
Adding the dry ingredients,
and, of course, we've got to add a few chocolate chips.  I'm so glad I can get soy-free chocolate chips at Earth Fare in Johnson City so Audrey can enjoy chocolate once in a while.
 The girls were trying to stay out of trouble while I finished the bread.  I wish they got along this well all the time!
Yummy!  I love how using yogurt makes for a healthier and yet moister finished product.

Yogurt Banana Bread
(I started with this recipe and cut the fat and sugar content)

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup plain yogurt (I like Greek style the best)
  • 6 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups whole wheat PASTRY flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or shredded coconut

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition. Stir in the yogurt, bananas, and vanilla. Stir together the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Blend the flour mixture into the banana mixture; stir just enough to evenly combine. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts or shredded coconut.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 60 minutes. Cool loaf in the pan for 20 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.



No comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones